Thursday, August 27, 2009

Orange Chicken Stir Fry

We made this a few nights back and it was really tasty! I recommend trying it. Robbie isn't a fan or orange chicken (I am though!) and he really liked it. It takes a little bit of prep (don't all the really good dishes?) but I think it was worth it. I made it a bit spicy I think... but mixed with rice it must not have been to bad for the kids because they ate it! I'm posting this for Malitha and Breezi... but I recomend anyone else trying it too ;)

Ingredients

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
dash of white pepper (or black if you don't have it)
1 Tbs oil
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
oil (for frying)

Orange Sauce for Stir Fry
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
5 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons rice or white vinegar
1 orange, zest of

Remaining Ingredients for Stir Fry
1 tablespoon ginger root, minced (I will use less next time I think...)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine (sherry/dry white wine/or even apple or grape juice would be ok)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (opt.)

Directions

Stir egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl and mix well. Stir chicken pieces into mixture.
Stir cornstarch and flour together in bowl. Add flour mixture slowly to chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees (or, like me, a really deep pot if you have neither of these...) . Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp (Try not to over cook the chicken). Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
Mix soy sauce, orange juice, sugar, vinegar and orange zest in a bowl; set aside.
If you used your wok to fry the chicken, clean it and then heat 15 seconds over high heat. Do the same with a deep skillet if you don't have a wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
This part goes pretty fast. Stir Constantly so that nothing burns.
Add ginger and garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds. Add crushed chilies and green onions; stir-fry. Next add rice wine (or whatever you have decided to use) and stir several seconds. Finally add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
Heat until sauce is thickened.
Stir in sesame oil and extra orange zest if desired.

No comments: