Monday, April 19, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie - For Malitha

I made Chicken Pot Pie tonight and I remembered on facebook you asked for the recipe.  I had changed it a couple times before I decided on the finished product...so it dawned on me that I should probably right down before I forget it!

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients
Filling:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
2 cups frozen green peas & carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 med potato, skinned and diced
Sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
dash of paprika (optional)
2 cups chicken broth (bouillon/chicken base + water is actaully how I roll)
1 cup milk

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store bought)

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)

In a large saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, celery and potato. Add enough water to cover and boil for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed (and paprika if disired). Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.  Stir often.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Roll out bottom pie crust and put into a 2qt 9in round casserole dish. You will have to stretch the crust out a bit bigger then the top crust.

Put the chicken filling in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.  Brush top with egg wash.  When I'm really lazy I've been know to spray pam on the top ( don't tell!).

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  Place a piece of foil lighty over the top of it about half way through, or when it begins to brown all over.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy :)

No comments: