Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cajun Grilled Chicken Alfredo

This is a pretty common recipe for us. Our whole family loves it. Unfortunately it is NOT very fat free. So we try not to make it too much! What I love about this recipe is that other then picking up some cream I have everything at home and you don't have to use as much meat (I guess you could use more) so it is a little better on your wallet. This feeds our whole family, sometimes with left overs. If I had to guess I would say it is about 6 servings.

Cajun Grilled Chicken Alfredo
Ingredients

3-4 chicken breasts
Cajun/Creole Seasoning (if you don't have this, black pepper, red pepper, garlic salt should do the trick too)

1 12oz box of Fettuccine or Linguine

1/2 c. (1 stick) margarine
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (I like a lot of garlic!)
2 cups heavy cream
1/8 tsp black pepper
pinch of salt
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (The grated works much better then shredded)

Season chicken breasts. Grill until cooked all the way through. Once grilling is complete slice chicken into thin strips (or smaller pieces for the kids).

Cook pasta according to the package.

While chicken and pasta cooks.
In a medium size saucepan melt butter of med heat.
Add garlic to butter and saute for about 2 minutes.
Add Cream, pepper and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer. You may need to turn your heat up or down a bit. Don't let it reach a rapid boil or it will probably boil over (this is from experience).
Once it is simmering add the cheese. Continue simmering, stirring frequently (I use a whisk), for 10 minutes or until thick. It will not be thick as an Alfredo Sauce you bought in a can.

Serve on top of Pasta and Chicken. Oh and a little sauce goes a long way!
Feel free to completely let go of your diet and dip a few pieces of bread into it. Don't even bother with a bowl just dip right into the pan ;) Trust me...


For the cream I recommend you run over to a Wal-Mart and get their store brand. It is maybe half the price.
I also highly recomend making this with seafood. Some garlic buttered shrimp or some crab (I actaully like it better this way... but we don't have these on hand usually).
We also make home made French bread too. It is really easy. We make the bread any time we are having Italian food. We even make it into sub size for yummy meatball sandwiches. Anyway here is the link to the bread. I'm pretty sure the recipe uses a bread machine to mix and rise... but people always leave comments on how to do without one... so I'm sure it is on there.
And if it doesn't I would Totally recommend buying a bread machine. Just a cheap one even. I picked mine up on Craigslist for 15 bucks. It is used on a average about 4-5 times a week. They make making and mixing bread sooo easy to do and clean up after! We make Honey Wheat Bread for every day use, pizza crust, french bread and all sorts of other yummy treats.

1 comment:

malitha said...

Mmmm... sounds good. Chicken Alfredo is my favorite Italian dish, and I make it often, too. I've never tried Cajun flavored, though. I usually do a lemon pepper/ garlic flavored chicken. I'll try it next time! I also make an Chicken Alfredo lasagna. Just layer your sauce with lasagna noodles like you usually would, but add a layer of ricotta cheese mixed with spinach, and of course your mozzarella cheese. Yum!