Monday, June 22, 2009

The BEST homemade Cinnamon Rolls...Ever!

If you love cinnamon rolls you will die for these! And if you don't... you'll still love them. Six months ago (just about) I found these on Allrecipes.com and immediately began making them. I haven't even changed the recipe much...which is pretty shocking for me. Hey you don't mess with success!
This recipe is exactly how I make them with my very very small changes and with a few alternatives and tips were you find an (*).
Using a bread machine makes these so super easy. But I realize not everyone has one... so I added a recomendation on making it without!
I don't care if you already have a favorite recipe... you really need to try these anyway. You will be converted ;)


Pictures from other are so much better then I could take with my crappy camera. (Photo Courtesy of Allrecipes)


Cinnamon Rolls (Original Recipes from Allrecipes.com)

Dough:
1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
6 Tbs margarine, slightly melted

Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start. * directions without bread machine below.
2.After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. (Don't punched it down.)
3.In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and lightly melted margarine. **extra tip
4.Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with sugar/cinnamon/margarine mixture. If your mixture is to running wait until it cools or all of your filling with run out.
5.Roll up dough starting at a short end. Cut into 12 rolls. ***extra tip
6.Place rolls, with room between to rise, in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan (I prefer a glass pan for this). If any pieces are smaller (sometimes my ends are bit smaller) place them in the center.
7.Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. ***** directions for over night refrigeration and baking
8.While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.


Extras
* YOU DON'T NEED A BREAD MACHINE to make these. Here is a recommendation from someone on allrecipes. If you make these this way let me know exactly what you did and how it turned out!
Use an 8 gram pack of dry active yeast instead of the bread machine yeast(Fast Acting Dry Yeast could work too) and knead the dough in your mixer or with your hands and a rolling pin (You can dissolve yeast in warm milk and/or sugar first- if this is how you are used to making your dough). Then heat the oven to 200 degrees and then TURN IT OFF. COVER the dough with a moist paper towel or light cloth , and put in the oven for around 1 hour (the dough will almost double in size). Continue with step 2.
**Feel free to make more filling if you like but I think it's fine the way it is.
****Sometimes I roll my dough up 1/3 of the way, place plastic wrap down, then unroll the dough back out. Then I roll it back up using the other end. This way I get some the yummy filling on the outside of my rolls too.
*****Make ahead directions (I do this all the time)
After step 6 (let rise for 15 first minutes if desired then...) cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge.
The next morning.
1st way- Place dish out. Cover with light cloth and let cool to room temp also allowing to rise. This may take more then 30 minutes. Bake as directed above.
2nd way- Place cold dish in preheating oven. Watch closely. Once dish has warmed slightly (don't let the rolls begin baking) remove dish, cover and continue letting the rolls warm to room temp. Bake as directed above. I make the frosting in the morning but you could make it at night and put that in the fridge too.

1 comment:

malitha said...

Miller and I think these look delish! I don't have a bread machine, but when I get motivated I will definitely try these!